When it comes to healthy eating it is best to consume a wholesome diet consisting of wide variety of fruits and vegetables. One should not expect some kind of miracle food but still there are some items in our diet that are better eating options than the rest. These fruits and vegetables, many a time are classified as superfoods. These are nutrient rich foods that are good for our health. Though superfood is only a marketing term and has no legal or medical definition these foods have earned this name as they are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Consuming these items on regularly basis may prevent diseases and help live a healthier life. There are many healthy options, we list here a few of these superfoods
Broccoli belongs to cabbage family of vegetables. It is rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, sulforaphane and carotenoids. It’s consumption offers various benefits:
- Antioxidants in broccoli help fight cancer cells and boosts immunity.
- Helps lower cholesterol.
- Beneficial for bone health and prevent osteoporosis.
- High fiber content helps digestion and prevent constipation.
These are rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese and high dose of antioxidants like anthocyanins and resveratrol. Blueberries consumption is beneficial as:
- Free radical scavenging offers anti aging properties.
- Antioxidant helps fight cancer.
- Decreases LDL:HDL cholesterol ratio thus promote heart health.
- May also improve short-term memory.
Tomatoes are excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, biotin, potassium and lycopene. Health benefits because of these nutrients are impressive:
- Lycopene reduces free radicals and combats cancer.
- Tomatoes decreases cholesterol and triglyceride, and prevent atherosclerosis.
- Vitamin A helps improve vision and prevent night blindness.
- Tomatoes are beneficial for skin health.
Almonds have great medicinal value. These are rich in fiber, riboflavin (vitamin B2), magnesium and iron thus used for many health solutions:
- Riboflvin and L-carnitine increases brain activity and helps in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Almonds helps lowers cholesterol, thus beneficial in heart diseases.
- Mono-unsaturated fatty acids help control blood sugar level, beneficial in diabetes.
Spinach is highly nutritious and very low calorie food. It’s 100 g provides only 23 calories. It is high in vitamin A, vitamin C and folic acid.
- Spinach boosts immune system.
- Carotenoids present in spinach prevents night blindness.
- Beneficial for heart because of many antioxidants.
- Rich source of iron so is beneficial for red blood cells production.
6. Sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are large and sweet tasting roots. It is high in beta carotene, potassium and tryptophan
- Beta carotene and other antioxidants slows the ageing process.
- Anthocyanin and other pigments give it anti inflammatory properties.
- It modifies insulin metabolism and improve blood sugar levels.
- High fiber contents helps in digestion and avoid constipation
Also read: 9 Tips for Good Health
Apples are very popular fruit which may be called a superfood. These are extremely rich in soluble fiber, flavanoids and vitamin C. Health benefits of apples are impressive:
- They helps in improving memory and other neurological benefits.
- Reduces risk of stroke.
- Improves good cholesterol ratio.
- Because of high fiber level it reduces blood sugar fluctuation.
- Low calorie food, helps fight obesity.
Kale is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese, and other phytonutrients. Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around:
- Alpha lipoic acid in kale improves insulin sensitivity and improves blood glucose control.
- lowers cancer.
- Vitamin K contents help in absorption of calcium thus improves bone health.
- It is associated with reduction of kidney stone formation.
Oats are full of fiber, magnesium and potassium
- Oats lowers cholesterol levels and prevents heart diseases.
- Magnesium regulates blood sugar level.
- These are protein packed and low on fat, providing energy boost to the body.
- Fiber helps in prevention of constipation.
Quinova is a grain crop and it’s seeds are edible. It is gluten free and high in protein. In fact it contains all essential amino acids. Quinova is also rich in calcium, magnesium and manganese. Benefits of Quinova include:
- It is gluten free, so is a good alternative for people allergic to wheat.
- Quinova offers good anti inflammatory properties.
- Saponins in it promote healing of skin injuries.
In end we should keep in mind that superfood is more of a marketing term and there are many other food items from vegetable as well as dairy that are equally nutrient rich. Healthy diet will consist of wide variety of vegetables, fruits, dairy, whole grain and animal products. So ther is nothing like magic diet or miracle food.
Also read:Steps to Easy Weight Loss